Why Data Mining?
As data volumes and discoverable sources continue to grow, getting a quick understanding of what is in your data before fully processing will speed up your overall review process and create less headaches during your review. Similar to how your email inbox may be set up to pre-filter through your spam, allowing you to ONLY view pertinent information – Data Mining helps attorneys eliminate the noise before they even lay eyes on their information.
Because each firm’s environment for Data Mining is unique and independent, Data Mining is highly secure and incredibly fast. We ingest data for Data Mining up to a blazing ½ to 1 terabyte per hour.
- Sign in:
- (New Users) At this time, new users to Data Mining must be added by Nextpoint. Reach out to your Client Success Director or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to get started.
- Similar to your Nextpoint database login, Data Mining uses two factor authentication. Once you type in your email address and password, you will be asked to type in a verification pin sent to your email address the first time you log in.
- Should you need to reset your password, click on the "Forgot Password" link above the password field. You will then receive an email with a link to reset your password and return to the login screen.
- Create/Select Project:
- Once you log in, you will be prompted to “Select an Existing Project” (if any exist) or “Create a New Project.” Clicking "Select an Existing Project" (if any exist) will take you to that project's dashboard.
- If you select “Create a New Project,” you will be prompted to type in the Project Name, Client Number, and Matter Number. Note: All Data will be processed using UTC time.
- Then click “Create.”
- Importing Data:
- You will then be taken to the project's dashboard where you will be prompted to “Import Data.”
You can also update settings, users, add database file rooms, and passwords in the settings tab.
The General tab allows you to edit some of your profile information, email your CS director, or change the time zone of your profile. Changing the time zone will change how the dates are viewed within the app. All data will continue to be processed in UTC time.
The S3 Locations tab allows you to view current file rooms and other S3 storage instances that this project has access to for imports and exports. You can add new locations here by clicking on the "Add New Location" button and inserting the access keys and location information in the resulting pop-up.
The location can be anything that will help you reference this location. The other information can be found for a Nextpoint database under Settings > Imports. If you have not used your s3 credentials in a Nextpoint database, you may need to reach out to email@example.com so that we can set your credentials.
You can also add new locations on the fly from within an import or export.
The Security tab allows you to update your password.
The Users tab allows you to view all of the users who have accessed your account and projects including the date they were added and the last accessed date. If you are your firm's Data Mining administrator (usually the first person added on a Data Mining account), you are also able to add new users in this tab by hitting the "Invite New User" button. Adding the new user's name and email address will automatically send them an email inviting them to the account. It they are a new user, they will be prompted to set up there account before accessing the project.
Or view one of the other support resources in the Data Mining series: