*This functionality is available for Advanced users only.
What is Nextpoint Exchange?
Exchange is an exclusive, highly-secure process that lets users create a new database instance or copy of a collection of evidence with internet speed and zero cost. To exchange, you simply select the chosen set of evidence to clone, set the destination, configure your load file and metadata specifications, and initiate the outgoing exchange.
There are no limitations on how or when Advanced users can utilize Nextpoint Exchange, but a couple of examples include:
- Share a production set from your Nextpoint database with an opposing or third-party (e.g. an expert).
- Copy your produced data sets from a Review database to a Prep database in order to further build your case story with only relevant/key documents and any transcripts.
- In a Mass Action, you may want to maintain the integrity of Exhibits, Literature, and Transcripts in Master databases and exchange necessary exhibits/transcripts to unique databases for specific trials.
*See more on transferring transcripts here.
The below steps outline the process from initiating your exchange to final approval.
If the number of documents you wish to exchange exceeds 5,000 - we recommend doing multiple exchanges with a smaller number of documents.
Select documents you would like to exchange and click "Exchange" in the top navigation bar of your grid view. This will bring up the exchange modal window on your screen which walks you through the process.
The first step after initiating your exchange is to select if you would like to review the loadfile prior to finalizing the exchange. This is a great added measure of quality control (QC) if you are exchanging to an external resource (e.g. expert, opposing counsel, etc..
Either create a new database
- On your current account (for an internal document copy)
- A 3rd Party account (for document production to an external party)
Or choose an existing database (enter the PIN for the account in Settings on the destination case)
- In Prep, your exchange PIN is found in the destination database under MORE > SETTINGS > Export/Exchange (see below).
- In Review, you can navigate directly to SETTINGS > Export/Exchange.
- Set Admin and PIN in the destination if not already set. Copy the PIN from your destination and paste it in the Exchange PIN section of Step 2 of your Exchange configuration.
Name the Exchange, e.g. March 2019 Production
Select your options for what to include in the transfer:
- The selection of "Transfer previously copied documents" will re-exchange documents even if they already exist in the destination database.
- Transfer natives will ensure all imaged documents resulting in the destination database have their original native associated.
- Unselecting the "Bates numbers" option will not remove the stamps and the Bates stamped documents will result in the destination database. Doing so will only strip the Bates assignments from the documents.
- Select any custom coding fields to include
You will get email notifications each step in the transfer process, and you can monitor your transfer by going to DATA > Outgoing Exchanges.
If exchanging to an external party, you may want to consider reviewing your exchanged loadfile prior to completing the Exchange. To do so, navigate to DATA > Outgoing Exchanges > Click on the name of your recently initiated exchange.
Make sure that all the documents you wish to produce, and only those documents, are included in the exchange, by clicking on the Next Step drop-down > "Download Loadfile" > and click "Go" to download and review.
Below your Transfer Actions, you can also verify the total number of documents in your exchange, if any duplicates were found from previous transfers, the associated size, and lastly, an activity log.
If the contents of the loadfile and the transfer information meet with your approval, select "Initiate Work Order" from Next Step and click "Go".
After Initiating the Work Order in step 6 above, the "Next Step" will transition to the drop-down containing options to move on to the final approval step or to decline the finalization of your transfer.
If ready to finalize, click on the drop-down and click "Final Approval" and "Go".
You will be taken to the final point of authorization for your particular Exchange transmission. Proceeding from this point will completely authorize the production/data-transfer.
The documents will be copied to the new instance, per your specifications, and the recipients will receive an email notification with instructions to access the database.